Jack Griffeth centers his law practice on defense trial work, representing employers in employment-related litigation and mediation. Jack serves as General Counsel to Wofford College and Spartanburg Methodist College. As a certified circuit court mediator by the South Carolina Bar, Jack has built an extensive mediation practice over the years where he conducts civil court mediations on a wide variety of cases including torts, contracts, and employment. His mediation experience has garnered him membership to the South Carolina Chapter of the National Academy of Distinguished Neutrals, an invitation-only organization of professional mediators and arbitrators who are well established as trusted neutrals amongst the legal community within their state of practice.
In addition to mediation, Jack regularly represents private institutions of higher learning in employment, student disciplinary action, faculty cases, and contracts with vendors, entertainers, and other partners in accordance with regulatory acts including FERPA, HIPPA, and the Clery Act. Jack is also skilled in defending employers, insurance carriers, and self-insured groups in cases involving challenging employment issues, such as workplace safety, workers’ compensation, discrimination, sexual harassment, and unemployment compensation.
Jack is considered one of South Carolina’s pre-eminent attorneys by Martindale-Hubbell with an AV Distinguished Rating, and he has been named by his peers a South Carolina Super Lawyer and a Best Lawyer in America. Among his many civic leadership roles, Jack is Past President of the Greenville Bar Association, a Past President of the S.C. Bar Foundation Board of Directors, and is a member of the prestigious American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA).
Jack is a summa cum laude graduate of Wofford College and received his Juris Doctor from Duke University. In 1976, Duke University created the Charles Murphy Award for Jack, in recognition of his unique collegial contributions to the Duke Law School community. He is also the 2008 recipient of the Greenville Bar’s most prestigious honor, the Tommy Thomason Award.
- South Carolina
- South Carolina Supreme court
- U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- S.C. Board of Arbitrator and Mediator Certification, approved Circuit Court Mediator
- Best Lawyers © (2005-2017)
- 2016 Lawyer of the Year (Mediation)
- Legal Elite of the Upstate (2015)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers Top 25 (2016)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers Top 10 (2015)
- South Carolina Super Lawyers (2008-2016)
- Nation’s “Top One Percent”, National Association of Distinguished Counsel (2016)
- Leadership in Law Award, South Carolina Lawyers Weekly (2013)
- Tommy Thomason Award, Greenville Bar Association (2008)