Jim is a graduate of The Citadel and The University of South Carolina School of Law. He began his career in the general practice of law and has concentrated his practice in the areas of bankruptcy, creditor’s rights, and commercial and corporate litigation. He was certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court in 1993 as a specialist in bankruptcy and collection law primarily representing creditors. He is an experienced civil and corporate law litigator.
Jim has been recognized and designated by “Best Lawyer” in the field of business litigation and he was also designated as a “Super Lawyer” by Key Professional Media in the field of business litigation. Jim was selected for inclusion in the inaugural issue of South Carolina Super Lawyers in 2008 and was again named as a “South Carolina Super Lawyer” in 2009, 2010, and 2011 in the area of General Litigation. Jim was also included in the Best Lawyers in America® 2012 in the areas of Commercial Litigation, Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency, and Reorganization Law. He has vast experience and the unique ability to resolve client issues in an efficient and effective manner.
- The Citadel, B.S., 1971
- University of South Carolina, J.D., 1974
- South Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Trial Lawyers Association (Member, Board of Directors, 1983-1986)
- South Carolina Bankruptcy Law Association (Board of Directors, 2008-Present)
- Greenville County Bar Association (Secretary/Treasurer, 1978-1982; President, 1998)
- Greenville County Trial Lawyers Association (Secretary/Treasurer, 1982)
- South Carolina – 1974
- United States District Court for the District of South Carolina – 1975
- United States Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit – 1975